These competencies have been adapted with permission from The Institute for Performance and Learning’s Competencies for Training and Development Professionals© as the model and reference standard of practice for workplace learning and development professionals.
Solutions to your learning needs
Preparing for effective learning
Assessing performance needs in response to a request for learning may result in both non-learning and learning interventions. When we assess your needs, we will involve key stakeholders, your company executives and business leads. Using industry standard techniques and collaborative work, we will assist you in understanding your training needs. Through this process, we will
- Identify any gaps in performance that your organization needs to fill.
- Determine why the gaps are there.
- Identify solutions to closing those gaps and whether formal training is required
While training may be necessary, it does not have to take place in a classroom setting. Other solutions might be distance learning, on-job training, supervisory oversight or probationary work plans.
Create the learning solution
Once training needs have been determined, we can help you to develop the type of learning experience that fits the needs. They can range from individual self-paced study to blended learning experiences or skills-based training courses. The objective of good learning solutions is that they provide the pertinent knowledge and skills to the participants in a timely and cost-effective way. Throughout the development process, you are involved as an equal partner. During this process we will
- Conduct an analysis of the design
- Establish learning objectives and outcomes
- Create the best way to deliver the learning
- Develop the materials to be used in the training
- Plan for the support of the implementation of the learning
Facilitating the training
Effective facilitation of structured learning results in a positive, comfortable, learner-centred environment, where learners share responsibility for the success of the learning event. Either we can provide or you can employ an effective facilitator (trainer or instructor) to support learners in achieving their learning objectives.
If you desire, our competent facilitators can
- Prepare the environment for the learning process
- Engage the learners in the process of learning through a variety of learning techniques and material
- Support distance learning where appropriate
- Foster learning through understandable presentations and empathetic response to learners' needs
Ensuring the value of the learning experience
Once the delivery of training has been completed, it is essential that you have an evaluation of the effectiveness of the training. We can work with you to design post-learning evaluation to measure the success of the training
According to the evaluation framework as designed by Donald Kirkpatrick, there are four levels of evaluation:
- Reaction - the degree to which participants find the training favourable, engaging and relevant to their jobs.
- Learning - the degree to which participants acquire the intended knowledge, skills, attitude, confidence and commitment based on their participation in training.
- Behaviour - The degree to which participants apply what they learned during training when they are back on the job.
- Results - The degree to which targeted outcomes occur as a result of the training and the support and accountability package